Apps make life easy by providing the convenience of use anywhere and anytime. Many of them have found a place in your smartphones permanently and are used often. But are they really safe and secure? Many times we don’t even give it a thought before downloading it from the sources. Unsecured mobile apps can perform unimaginable harm by accessing your personal and valuable information. To avoid identity thefts, frauds, and other security issues, there are certain things that the Mobile App users need to take care of.
Using Secured Device: A good Mobile phone should have a robust inbuilt security. If by any chance your mobile security is not up to the mark or is damaged, you should be very careful about downloading a mobile app. If an app is not secured enough and is affected by malicious content, it can create a huge risk to your personal information.
Cautiously Choosing the App Download Source: Always choose a secure app download store for downloading an app. App stores have security policy with which every app must pass through, this decreases the risk of entering malicious content through the app in your device.
Update Device Software: It is very important to update the software in your device on a regular basis. Most people avoid running updates as it uses bandwidth, memory, and battery of the smartphones. This makes it more prone towards malicious treats and becomes easy targets for hackers.
How to Stay Secured?
- However secure a mobile app you use, it is important to understand that threats can enter at your end too. It is important to know the secure ways to be taken care of to protect yourself from internet threats.
- Do not use untrusted download sources for downloading mobile apps and other files. Apple restricts its users to download from iTunes only, but with Android-based phones, it is possible to download from Third party app. It recommends downloading from Google’s play store though.
- Use password protection with your smartphone. If you lose your mobile, it will restrict the strangers or cyber thieves to get through the phone data directly. Use short time durations for password locks. Fingerprint detection can provide even more protection.
- If you use mobile apps for transferring sensitive information and performing bank transaction more often, it is advisable to encrypt your data. Many phone devices have this facility inbuilt and add a protective layer to the users’ data.
- Use anti-malware in your mobile device. It will alert you every time it comes in contact with a malicious content and restricts you from downloading such contents.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi while performing important transactions with your mobile apps. Public Wi-Fi is not safe enough and is prone to spoofing and threat activities. Using a secured VPN is advisable as it encrypts data while transmitting it over the web.
- Use high-security You can set up a remote wipe on your smartphone. If you lose your phone or it gets stolen, you will be able to wipe up all the data from it using remote wipe. It also helps to find the location of your phone.